What is a CIO - Charitable Incorporated Organisation?
A Charitable Incorporated Organisation, referred to as a CIO, is a new type of legal format for a registered charity.
The intention is to afford charities limited liability without having to register as a limited company at Companies and
as a registered charity with the Charity Commission.
- is an incorporated form of charity which is not a limited company
- only has to register with the Charity Commission and not Companies House
- is only created once it is registered by the Charity Commission
- is a legal entity that can enter into contracts in its own right
- has trustees who will not have any liability for the debts of the CIO, in normal circumstances